It is said that there is nowhere safer than your home, yet many of us don’t know that a silent killer is living in our home. It is carbon monoxide (CO) gas that can cause minor to severe health issues. You can be exposed to CO gas even at home because household appliances such as fireplaces, central heating systems, boilers, and open fires can be the source of CO gas. These appliances use gas, oil, coal, and wood.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas. Its existence in your home can be dangerous for you and your loved ones. Your home’s air can be poisoned by mixing with carbon monoxide. Unfortunately, you may not detect it until it is too late. With the advancement of technology, an indoor air quality detector best known as a carbon monoxide detector has been invented.
It protects your family from the gas by releasing an alarm. According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention reports, carbon monoxide poisoning sends nearly 15,000 people to emergency care every year. Carbon Monoxide exposure may cause headaches, dizziness, nausea, fatigue, shortness of breath, confusion, and unconsciousness.
The installation of the detector is necessary for the safety of you and your loved ones. You never know when the silent killer can enter your home. These detectors should be installed on each floor of your home.
It is crucial to check the key function of the detector every month. Check the batteries to confirm whether they are low in charge. Always replace the battery once every six months.
Never forget to clean the device to remove debris and carbon dust.
Test the detector’s sound. It should be loud enough to be heard from any room. The sound should be sharp enough to wake you up from a deep sleep. All you need to do is press the test button to check its sound quality. If the sound is low, batteries need to be replaced.
Call an indoor air quality specialist to examine the CO detector every 3 or 6 months. State Aire offers repairing and installation of indoor air quality products in Kerrville, TX.